Reads: Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu

Carmilla by great Irish author Sheridan Le Fanu is an engaging read about a lesbian vampire told thru the eyes of the protagonist, Laura.

It is very handsomely written  that I find myself immersed in the chapters til the wee hours of the morning.
I understand how it scandalized readers in the Victorian era.

English not being my native tongue, I encountered some words that I have to look up the meaning. I find this good, so as to enrich my vocabulary.

Here are some, from Google:

  • antipathy: a deep-seated feeling of dislike; aversion.
  • apathy: lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
  • languid:  displaying or having a disinclination for physical exertion or effort; slow and relaxed.
  • languor: the state or feeling, often pleasant, of tiredness or inertia.
  • lassitude: a state of physical or mental weariness; lack of energy.
  • obstinacy: the quality or condition of being obstinate; stubbornness.
  • acquiesce: accept something reluctantly but without protest.
  • conjecture: form an opinion or supposition about (something) on the basis of incomplete information.
  • paroxysm: a sudden attack or violent expression of a particular emotion or activity.
  • vivacious: (especially of a woman) attractively lively and animated.
carmilla sheridan le fanu
An excerpt from the paperback Fangs, edited with an introduction by Otto Penzler.

Comments

Popular Posts