Just watched! Death Parade Review!

As I was scrolling thru the comments in a social media post, there was a mention of the anime Death Parade. The commenter highly recommended it.

Death parade

I was disappointed that it was (I think) my first time to hear that title, and I want to watch all animes (if I can)! So I searched for it and finished it after 3 days (I can finish it in a day as I usually do marathons in the past, but I chose to limit because 1. it is bad for the eyes and 2. I have other things to do).

I did not skip the intros or ending songs, for I found them to be enjoyable. I even paused and slowed them to ensure I did not miss any gem.

Death Parade is one of those psychological animes that will leave questions after, rather than spoon feed you answers. What happened, why, how, the reality, is it plausible, the viewer is free to make his own interpretation. I would only consider as canon what the creator would directly say. Meaning, I would not accept one's understanding as better than another's.

It mentions that "god" is gone, and that there is no heaven or hell, only reincarnation (elevator with white smiling mask above) and the void (with devil mask). And that the destination of human souls rests upon the judgment of arbiters (who cannot die as they are mere dummies). And, as it had been mentioned a few times, they are questioning their methods and if they may have judged incorrectly. After all, they had never even been humans at all.

Unlike in other religions, suicide here is not seen as the worst offense and speed ticket to damnatiom. They have a different attitude on that.

I am not satisfied with where the wife, old man and Mayu ended, lemme just say. How did Nona get a Chavvot book when Chiyuki also has one? And also, where did Memine the cat go?!

I try not to take animes seriously and just take it for the fun and fantasy it gives.

Early on, I first liked Ginti (red heads and petlovers get me) as I saw him in the intro song, but then he reminded me of a person I know in real life who was also tall and muscular but not my type so it was an attraction killer lol.

And so Decim became my fave. He is solemn and respectful, yet tries to care for and understand humans. 

I was first annoyed at black haired girl, Decim's assistant. She is not really nice to Decim and is too reactive, overstepping her boundaries. Then there are the other characters like Oculus (who I thought was too chill for someone who is supposedly next to god), Nona (despite her chibi size is quite skillful and significant, she could even get goodies from the real world), Clavis (the always smiling elevator operator), Castra, Quin and other unnamed folks seen dining with the major characters.

90th floor looks like a field with greens and birds, or paradise even- Nona.

20th floor bar with small wooden dolls (Kokeshi) collection - Ginti.

15th floor bar with life sized dummies (mannequins) collection - Decim. 

Hidden bottom floor is where humans' empty shells are stored.

A lot of viewers reported bawling over the last episode, or when Chiyuki's memories returned, and Decim's smile. But honestly, I was not too moved. The episode that made me cry was the one with the single mother and the boy who killed himself. I lost it when he recalled his stepmom being so nice, and  he couldn't even call her "mom". 

I suggest you watch Death Billiards OVA (2013) first then Death Parade (2015). Watch til the last second as they have endings you should not miss (sorta like MCU movies).

I have seen Perfect Blue, Elfen Lied, etc. Any other good psych anime reco? Let's check it out!

Comments

Popular Posts