Ideal's Antepara Contact Lens Honest Review

I have been buying eyeglasses, contact lenses, solutions from Ideal Vision since my uncle brought me to a branch in Divisoria. That was in 1999 or 2000 I think.

You can imagine how long ago that was. So in between EO, Jins, Quiapo, and other shops, I always go back to Ideal. I like the selection of branded names they carry. I even have their VIP discount card.

Antepara lens review ideal vision

Earlier this year, I bought a new pair from a nearby Ideal (Version in silver) which I was not able to use. It was too high that I feel dizzy whenever I put it on. Well, no one to blame since there was eye check up or test prior and I chose that grade. 

You see, about last year, I bought eyeglasses from a faraway Ideal (in Alabang yata), which was Antepara in the color red. The opto took my results and they were higher than the one I was wearing. Of course, the cause was during pandemic I had a lot of screen time. But because baka manibago ako with sudden higher grade, I agreed to keep the grade in my old lens.

(Buti na lang I had Nextpair to the rescue. I subtracted 50 each from my current grade and it made all the difference. It was comfy to wear na. That is what you see me wearing in my recent posts.)

Back then, we did not even have much choices when it comes to contact lens so my first one would have to be Fresh Look! And oh, I chose the colored. I rotated between blue, green, honey. They were expensive of course and with different shades in the ring to make it more natural looking.

But from time to time I buy from different brands. Like Flexwear which caused me no issue.

There was one time I bought from an optical shop in the mall some Korean lenses. The saleslady tried to warn me it was some big doll eyes. But I did not care, I bought it anyway. And oh my, how it stung. So I returned it there pronto and they did issue a refund, thankfully.

I thought it would be the first and last time I would encounter hellish lenses. I was wrong.

Because I was pretty sick and tired of always buying either the gray or violet Flexwear (charcoal and amethyst if I am not mistaken), my attention came to the conspicuous poster in front of all the Ideal stores I passed by.

Antepara. 2 pairs (B1T1) for Php 495. I thought I wanna try it. Asked a couple branches but they said since I have prescription then it is by order and to return after two days. So I postponed it because my event was the following day.

Antepara lens ideal vision

After some weeks I had another event and I asked a different branch. My suki doctor said they could make it rush. But I was nearer the other branch. This other branch initially refused but after a little persuasion they relented to have it delivered the following day. But not without being chided again that I should place order days before hehe.

So I was happy. I received a text and returned to the mall to get it the following day.

BTW, my lens are of different Rx grade - left is higher.

The next morning, after removing the new lens from its containers, I rinsed it with my favorite and trusted Puremoist solution. Then inserted it. Blinked to adjust.

Ouch.

Left hurt. Maybe coz the eyeball was grazed the other day. 

So I removed, rinsed and wore them again.

Much better, though this time, it was the right that became uncomfortable. But I am running late so I grin and bear it.

Little did I know that as the day progressed, this reverberating pain would only exacerbate.

My right eye  was tearing up so bad. By night time I had to buy Systane. After a couple drops the stinging sensation subsided. But after an hour, it returned.

Removing it when I finally got home was the best feeling ever. I should really had brought travel cases but I had no spare.

As expected, I almost could not open my eyes the following morning. Even the days after that, my eyes still swelled a little. Usually, this kind of discomfort only happens with months old used lenses due to normal wear and tear and not with a brand new one like this.

I decided to share this experience to their Social media but well, they just ignored this issue. Just got a reply that Freshlook is thinner. The follow up DM was on seen of course.

So I cannot be certain if this arose from:

-manufacturing defect

-during shipping or importation (exposed to heat)

-random, coincidence

By the way, the box does not indicate who the manufacturer is, or in what country it is made in. 

Most troubling is finding out later on that FDA has issued a warning regarding its purchase as it is unregistered - FDA Advisory No.2023-2270.

So there you have it. I guess it does not pay to be curious and adventurous all the time. Sometimes it is better to stick with what works for you or what you are hiyang with.

By far Antepara is the Most Uncomfortable and Painful contact lens I ever had the displeasure of wearing!

After 3 days of being soaked in the Puremoist case and solution, I had the guts to wear it again. Lo and behold, it was still uncomfortable. It did not sting as much as the first time though. So after less than four hours, I took it off. 

I tried it again the third time and the right side was painful still so it has to do with the lens itself. The thing is, unlike other contact lenses, you can literally FEEL this Antepara lens touching the edges of the eyelids. It is what makes it very uncomfortable and renders me teary eyed.

So after a week, after discarding the first pair, I opened the second Antepara pair. It was more tolerable to use though still  not very satisfactory as compared with other brands. After about 8 hours of wearing, I had difficulty taking it off. I was already starting to be distressed but thank goodness I was able to remove it. But I felt my eyeball was also like pulled slightly. That was so scary. 20 years wearing lens and only this one did that. Never again.

Comments

Popular Posts