My Vegetarian Salad Quest

Hello po!
I am taking baby steps towards becoming a vegetarian. Actually I was always a vegetarian at heart as it had been my preference, whenever available. I don't like meat, especially fat- it seems like a clear gum that I can't bring myself to swallow it.

My reason, not only for vanity or because it is better for the health, is because of compassion for the animals. I agree with animal advocates that they don't deserve the torture and cruelty and to be slaughtered for food. Well, we all have different opinions on this matter, and this is just my view.

It is hard to be a vegetarian. In this country, there are very few vegetarian restaurants (mostly expensive). When I go to some restaurants,  what they offer mostly have meat incorporated in the menu. Then there are some events or parties that offer nothing but meat dishes. But we can always go to turo-turo/karinderia and order dirt-cheap vegetable dishes like mongo, togue at tokwa or pakbet.

Before, I don't order salads but now I am trying to switch to eating them rather than greasy burgers. I went to top fastfood chains McDonalds and Jollibee (update September 2016: Jollibee now offers mashed potato and corn bits), but they do not offer salad.

I found these fastfood/restaurants that do offer salads at reasonable prices-

Tropical Hut Green Salad Php 55 (update September 2016: price increase- now Php 70). Lettuce, slices of egg, cucumber, tomato, carrots, croutons, tuna, corn, dressing.

tropical hut salad, salad in fastfood,

KFC Garden Salad. Lettuce, julienned cucumber, carrots, cherry tomato. Choice of Strawberry, Caesar, Asian dressing. This is Php 65.

kfc salad, salad in fastfood,

KFC's premium salad that costs Php 120, bigger serving plus additional croutons and- I think these are- turnips/singkamas.

KFC's premium salad that costs Php 120, bigger serving plus additional croutons and- I think these are- turnips/singkamas.

Wendy's Side Salad. Macaroni, raisins, pineapple tidbits, cucumber, red and green gulaman (jelly), dressing, cheese. The price is Php 49. I had loved this since I was in college but somehow the taste has changed or maybe it's just my imagination as I am growing very used to this? Next time I will try their other salad variations. Wendy's has more choices of premium salads including the salad bar (all the ingredients you can manage to put in your tray).

wendy's salad bar, wendy's side salad, fitness blogger philippines, wellness blogger philippines, vegetarian, vegan,

Mexicali House Salad.  Price: Solo is 34, Full is Php 64. I am amazed at how affordable and simple (tomato salsa, onions, shredded lettuce), yet big and delicious this is! Love this!

Mexicali House Salad.  Price: Solo is 34, Full is Php 64. I am amazed at how affordable and simple (tomato salsa, onions, shredded lettuce)

Bonchon Ceasar Salad Php 125. I think this is very expensive because it only contains croutons, parmesan cheese, lettuce and dressing. The other variant is Oriental Crispy Chicken.

Bonchon Ceasar Salad Php 125. I think this is very expensive because it only contains croutons, parmesan cheese, lettuce and dip.

Yoshinoya Kani Salad, Php 69. Japanese dressing, lettuce, strips of cucumber, carrots, crabstick, seaweeds, cubes of mango, tobiko (fish roe). Refreshing and filling! The price is affordable considering the size and ingredients.

Yoshinoya Kani Salad, Php 69. Japanese dressing, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, mango, crabstick, seaweeds, tobiko (fish roe).

Note: I will be updating this to include recent finds. Thanks for reading! Care to share your salad joint recommendations here in Pinas? :)

Comments

Popular Posts