My Sciatica Journey of Pain and Realizations

WARNING: WHAT WORKS FOR ME MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU!!!

Last year I had pain in my tailbone when I would sit down and when I would stand up after sitting. It almost made me hunched. It persisted for a few weeks then was gone. After a couple of months it returned, then like the first episode, went away after a while.

But as January started, pain much worse and unimaginable greeted the new year. It radiates from my left butt to my thighs down my leg and emanates at the sole of my feet. I could not even  cut the nails of my feet because the numbness might cause me to accidentally snip the skin.

I would describe it as spasm, cramping, numbing, pins and needles, like a nerve is being pulled to its limit. Namimitig, naninigas, namamanhid, tusok tusok. 

I asked in an FB medical group about it. One thought it was pilay or naipit na ugat and advised me to go to Quiapo for a hilot. Another diagnosed it as sciatica.

So I went to the public hospital and was asked if I had an injury, if I sat for a long time (no, I actually lied in bed for a long time while on my cellphone), trying to know what caused it. But as for me I think that taking a bath at night immediately after getting home (no resting first) was the culprit. Anyway, since doctors dismiss as old wives tale the "pasma at lamig",  I didn't believe it back then either.

As a schedule in the PT would take such a looong time (yeah public hospitals could be nightmare) I went to a hilot in Quiapo. He mauled the affected knee. He was overconfident in saying it was gone and that he healed me but to still return for a follow up session after 2 days.

Wrong. It did not improve at all.

In fact, it was at this time that one night the pain was so intense that I simply was reduced to tears and realized that dying truly was a mercy for those in deep agony.

I also went to a chiro but did not undergo treatment as it was way expensive. So I only had their free posture screening and the girl assistant noticed all sorts of things wrong with me, regarding balance and symmetry.

Then I went to a massage therapist in a mall that includes free chiro in their services. Also there was no improvement.

The two doctors in the govt hospital (GP and IM) diagnosed it as sciatica. They had also prescribed some muscle relaxers and painkillers like mefenamic, acetaminophen, eperisone, which were totally useless. But the Physiosist, upon interview and checking my xray, said it was wear and tear of the spine and it was spasm. The rehabilitation doctor also prescribed another painkiller which was, like the others, ineffective. But what shocked me is he told me to steer away from B complex. He said the panunusok nusok is caused by it. What?!!!  Anyway, I already was taking it before, as early as last year, so why did it not prevent this sciatica from happening if it truly was the medicine for it.

Other B complex has low mg, these are among the highest ones. 

So finally I was able to have sessions with the physical therapist (with a minimal fee of php 120). 8 sessions total, twice a week every morning. Private home sessions cost php 1000 per evening. 

What happens is she just instructed me 3 kinds of stretching that I do when I am there and at home, and then she puts this trial machine that has this electro therapy massage but they adjust it to mild (they can turn it stronger but they do not want me to feel pain or uncomfortable) and the overhead disk of it hardly touches my body.

Since I was desperate, I also went to a gym to work out and I don't even know if I should since I was prohibited to carry anything heavy.

But across the gym was a Waki office so I thought nothing to lose since it was free after all. Best decision.

There were two machines they made us try - one was the negative ion high potential thingy. And the second was just like the one in the hospital, electromagnetic impulses for nerves. But while the one in the hospital is a big upright machine with an arm and a disk at its end, the machine in Waki is a smaller machine with a pad that emits the currents and massage as you sit on it and hold its bars. Man, that's the good stuff!

Waki electro machine
This is yet another machine, a new release.
This one is said to be equivalent to doing exercise.

That was the time I felt relief. I was so sleepy after the session. Even forgot about the pain while I was lying down in bed but when I realized, hey no pain, the pain returned LOL but milder now and not real pain but just uncomfortable feeling.

I am not paid by this Waki company so it is up to you if you want to believe or not. I would not even try to convince you since they have been called a scam and pseudo science. But for the rest of us (and there are so many especially among elders) who ACTUALLY felt an improvement, we would beg to differ! 

More tips:

Research as much as you can, info on the Internet is free. But use discernment as well as there are a lot of confusing and opposing info.

Try which works best for you. I tried knee flossing (stretching out one whole leg and pointing down the feet)  as it was widely recommended but I feel that rotating the hips while standing up (or while lying down, fold knees and move hips side to side) is much better. Also is being down on fours elbow and knees and stretching the spine concave convex (like otso otso I don't know how to describe it).

Actually the pain is worse in the morning and at night or after lying in bed for a while. Being active and walking helps give relief.  Minimum of 8000 steps per day. Move it. Kontrahin mo labanan mo.

If you have a tendency to curve your spine because you put your weight on your good leg, try to straighten your back and snap back into proper posture. You won't wanna develop scoliosis!

If you lightly massage the painful leg, make sure not to neglect the well leg! Give attention to the non painful leg as the nerve is a circuit. Meaning it goes around both legs, and what you do on one side has an effect on the other.

Don't use a too soft mattress. It should still be firm; ideal thickness is four inches. That was according to PT. Ours (spring type) was 12 inches!

This deep gnawing pain that makes it impossible to sleep attacks everytime I wash my feet at night. So NEVER EVER wash feet before sleeping!!! 

Prioritize comfort and warmth over fashion. Always wear pants and socks to cover the legs and feet especially while sleeping.

Final Thoughts

I would not wish this kind of anguish even to an enemy. I hope everyone suffering find relief and freedom from pain quickly!!! 

Comments

Popular Posts