Makeup Primers: Meaning, My Faves, Swatches!

Hello po! Frens, back in the day, we didn't really have "primers" (just watch vintage makeup tutorials, you can easily find them on Youtube). Sure, our grannies cleansed, toned, moisturized, then they already applied foundation after.

does primers erase pores and scars

A primer, like the name implies, is a preparatory product that creates a barrier between your skin and the makeup, be it foundation, tinted moisturizer or concealer.

A foundation primer, also called makeup base, creates an ideal canvas for makeup to hold onto, to stay flawless and fresher longer. Depending on its description, it may smooth, blur pores and fine lines, control oil, keep makeup in place, brighten, moisturize, target acne, and so on. All the benefits are continually evolving.

We have many types of primers- balms, creams, serum... There are traditional silicone based, the serums with hyaluronic acid, sunscreen types, etc. There is even a "primer water"

So today, I shall share with you the review or effects of three of my current primers, Elizavecca Skin Liar Primer, Benefit Porefessional, and Innisfree No-Sebum Blur Primer. Can they make pores and scars disappear into oblivion?

What is the BEST primer
Swatches, L-R: Elizavecca, Benefit, Innisfree.

I like the fun packaging of Elizavecca Skin Liar Primer

Elizavecca Skin Liar Primer

Testing:

skin primer
Makes skin softer to the touch, but the imperfections are still there.

Benefit Porefessional

Benefit Porefessional
Woah! It did seem to hide pores! But for the crater like icepick or rolling scars (the bane of acne) no can do!

Innisfree No-Sebum Blur Primer (with Jeju mineral and mint)

Innisfree No-Sebum Blur Primer
MEH. Blemishes still there. But I do adore their Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder though.

My personal thoughts on Primers / Bases:
  • Makes skin soft, velvety, especially for stick types of foundies and concealers- it makes it glide. 
  • Protection from chemical laden traditional makeup, but since I made the switch to Korean BB creams, I feel like I don't really need primers since I find K-beauty cushions to be gentle and skin-caring, with a lot of nutrients.
  • When I first found out about primers, I thought they were like masilya, magically hiding pores and scars. So I was disappointed it didn't really do much for me since my problems, aside from enlarged pores, were icepick scars (y'know, indentation left by acne).
  • Another thing I didn't like is that for the balm types, they can be like eraser shavings when applied too much (they wouldn't absorb and tend to ball up like a Snowman).
  • Price point ranges from high-end to affordable. It is well to keep in mind that not all primers are created equal.
These are my other primers:

BYS Foundation Primer Luminizing (also a balm type), A'Pieu Base Maker in Green, Pixi by Petra Flawless and Poreless Primer, W.Lab Jewelry Base Sapphire (the closest I got to Unicorn serums since my fave online shop doesn't carry them).
BYS Foundation Primer Luminizing (also a balm type), A'Pieu Base Maker in Green (to counter the redness in my complexion), Pixi by Petra Flawless and Poreless Primer, W.Lab Jewelry Base Sapphire (the closest I got to Unicorn serums since my fave online shop doesn't carry them).

I'd like to add, my personal fave is Chanel Le Blanc Light Creator Brightening Makeup Base. The price is expensive (lucky I got a sample, nice to try it out first for skin compatibility before getting a full sized one), but I believe it is worth every penny.

Sure, it's sheer and did not make my pores or scars vanish, but the glow and brilliance plus skin soothing, caring benefits are awesome. This fabulous product has licorice and Japanese Akoya pearls. Smells great too.

Chanel Le Blanc Light Creator Brightening Makeup Base
Sheen lends a lit from within effect to the face.

I also read somewhere that Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch works amazing as a pore filler, so I am keeping in mind to check it out in the near future.

How about you, I'd love to know what is your Holy Grail Primer or Base? Comment down below! Thanks for reading! :)

Comments

Popular Posts